Tuesday, April 10, 2012

A Woman warrior of Islam

                                A Woman warrior of Islam!

The battle was on, both sides had lashed with each other, swords were flashing, arrows were
whistling through the air, spears hurtling in the sky. A middle aged woman carrying a water-skin with a cloth belt round her waist filled with lint is seen hurrying towards the blood and gore of the battleground. The Muslims had there upper hand till now, but the tables seem to have turned and when she reaches close to the person she adores most in the world, wave after wave of enemy troops are rushing to attack and kill him. At once she balances her sword and rushes forward to defend him with her life and arms.
Who is this brave and zealous woman and who is the person she is defending?
She is Hazrat Ammarah Radhiyallahu ta'ala Anha and the person she is shielding is no other than the Prophet Muslims Muhammad Sallallahu Alayhi wassallam..
Umme Ammarah (R.A) was one of the earliest Muslims from Madinah and had the fortune to be among those who vowed allegiance to RasoolULLAH Sallallahu Alayhi wassallam at Al-Aqabah. She participated in most of the battles that took place after immagration and specially in Uhad, Hudaybia, Umratul Qadha, Hunayn and Yamamah. The scene we are describing is from the Battle of Uhad. 
Umme Ammarah was 43 years old at the time, her husband and the two sons were also fighting in the battle. She says: " In fact, we were very much handicapped in Uhad. The enemy had very strong cavalry, while we fought on foot. There would have been a fair fiht if they too had been on foot.When somebody came riding on his horse to attack me, I stooped his word on my shield and when he turned about, I attacked his horse from the rear and cut its leg.This caused the horse as well as the rider to fall on the ground. As soon as this happened, the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam) would shout to my son, who would run to my help and we both finished the man in no time."
Her son Hazrat Abdullah bin Zaid Radhiyallahu ta'ala anh says: " I had a wound on my left arm, which would stop bleeding. The Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi wassallam) said to my mother, "Put a bandage over it" My mother took out a bandage from her belt and after bandaging my wound, said, "Now son! Go and fight again with the idolaters". The Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi wassalaam) was watching us. He said,"O,Umme Ammarah Radhiyallahu ta'ala anha, who can have courage like yours?"
The Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi wassalaam at that time prayed again and again for Hazrat Umme Ammarah Radiyallahu Anha and her family.
Hazrat Umme Ammarah Radiyallahu Anha says: "I was standing with the Prophet Sallallahu Alayhi wassalaam, when one of the enemy passed in front of me. The Prophet Sallallahu Alayhi wassallam said to me. Umme Ammarah! He is the man who wounded your son. " I jumped at him and hit his leg. It made him fall down. We then went forward and finished him. The Prophet Sallallahu Alayhi wassalaam smiled and said "Umme Ammarah has avenged her son." When the Prophet Sallallahu Alayhi Wassalam was praying for us, I said to him, "O Prophet of ALLAH! Pray for my company with you i in Paradise." He favored me with this prayer too, and after that I cared little for what happened to me in this life."
 Hazrat Umme Saeed Radhiyallahu Anha says:"I once saw a very deep cut on the shoulder of Hazrat Umme Ammarah Radhiyallahu Anha. I inquired how she had got that, She said," I got it in Uhad. When people were running about in confusion, I saw Ibn Qumah coming towards us and shouting, " Were is Muhammad Sallallahu Alayhi wassalaam. Lets somebody tell me his where-abouts. If he is saved today, I am no more. I, Hazrat Musab bin Umair Radiyallahu Anhu and some others intercepted him. He gave me this deep cut on my shoulder. I also attacked him, but he escaped on account of the double coat of mail that he was wearing."

In sprite of a year's treatment, the wound would not heal. In the meantime, the Prophet Sallallahu Alayhi wassalam decided about the expedition to Hamra-ul-Asad. Hazrat Umme Ammarah Radiyallahu Anha also got ready to join the expedition,But as her wound was still unhealed, she could not participate. When the Prophet Sallallahu Alayhi wassalam returned from the expedition, he straight away went to visit Hazrat Umme Ammarah Radiyallahu Anha. He was very happy to find her better.
As has already been said, she also participated in many other battles with the same zeal and spirit. After the death of the Prophet Sallallahu Alyhi wassalam, she took part in the fierce battle of Yamamah, which was fought with the renegades. She lost one of her arms and received eleven other wounds in this battle. Shhe was 43 in Uhad and 52 in Yamamah. Her heroism in these battles at that age was really miraculous.
May ALLAH grant us even an iota of that love and courage she had for RasoolULLAH Sallallahu Alayhi wassalam and Islam.. Aameeen ya Rabb!!


                            *There is none worthy worship besides Allah!